Character Sketch: Term Writing
Assignment: Write a descriptive character
sketch of an "interesting" person you know.
The writing will be evaluated based on these specifications:
and Content: The description will...
- ...contain a clear thesis
(a statement about the person's overall character that the entire description
- ...develop the thesis with numerous specific
details, anecdotes, and examples.
- ...SHOW more than it tells:
- Relate stories (anecdotes) that clearly show what the person does that
- Include direct quotations of things the subject says.
- Describe the person's physical appearance (if it is important to the
- Explain how other people feel about the person (if it is important to
the overall description).
- Make the reader feel as though s/he knows the person as well as you
- ...engage and/or entertain the reader.
- ...be complete and make sense.
The description will...
- ...follow the standard
essay format. (You don't have to outline it--#1,
#2, #3--but it might help.)
- ...contain an attention getting introductory paragraph with a clearly
- ...contain at least three (3) body paragraphs, each of which will contain
- Topic sentence
- At least three (3) specific
details, anecdotes, and examples linked by appropriate transition
- Transition statement between paragraphs and/or clincher statement
- ...contain a conclusion paragraph that restates the thesis and ends with
a memorable final sentence.
The final draft of the essay should be an example of your finest writing:
- Free of errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Perfectly legible (typed, if possible)
- Engaging title
- Best effort! (Show me that you care enough to do a good job!)
Due date: October 20, 2006
Character Sketch Resources: